Telegram, a free Instant messenger application that can be used to chat with your friends all over the world is now available for PC, Mac and Linux. Unlike Whatsapp, Telegram is free forever, no ads, no subscription fees. Telegram is available for many different platforms, including Linux, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows, and Mac OS X. The messages which are sending using telegram are highly encrypted and self-destructive. It is very secure, and there is no limit on the size of your media and chats.
Moreover, official Telegram website says,
For the moment we are focusing on open sourcing the things that allow developers to quickly build something using our API. We started with Android and Linux, since these platforms are the most open, recently we published the iOS app code as well. We will be releasing more code eventually. View Source code on Github
Now, the good news is someone has created a PPA for Telegram desktop. So that we can easily install it under Ubuntu, and derivatives. To install telegram on DEB based systems, run the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/telegram sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install telegram
Features of Telegram Messenger:
- Telegram messages are heavily encrypted and can self-destruct.
- Telegram lets you access your messages from multiple devices.
- Telegram delivers messages faster than any other application.
- Telegram servers are spread worldwide for security and speed.
- Telegram has an open API and protocol free for everyone.
- Telegram is free forever. No ads. No subscription fees.
- Telegram keeps your messages safe from hacker attacks.
- Telegram has no limits on the size of your media and chats.
- Help make messaging safe again – spread the word about Telegram.
On Desktop Telegram is available for
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8 (not RT)
- Windows 8.1 (not RT)
- OS X 10.7
- OS X 10.8
- OS X 10.9
- Ubuntu 12.04
- Ubuntu 13.04
- Ubuntu 14.04