If you’ve updated to iOS 6 or bought an iPhone 5 (which comes with iOS 6 pre-installed), then you no longer have Google’s engine powering your Maps app, which is rather unfortunate because hands-down Google Maps provides better services and more accurate information than Apple’s Maps.
There is no stand-alone Google Maps app to download from the App Store (at least not yet). But you can still get Google Maps on your iPhone and run iOS 6, which offers a number of other benefits over iOS 5 that you may want to keep. Here’s How to install default Google Apps for iPhone 5 and iOS 6:
1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Make sure Locations Services is on generally at the very top, but also switched on for Safari, which you may have to scroll down to see.
2. Return to your home screen and open the Safari app.
3. Type into the address bar: maps.google.com.
4. When prompted, allow the site to use your current location (i.e., select OK).
5. You’ll now see Google Maps on your screen. Optionally, select the drop down arrow in the upper right corner and sign in if you want to leverage information already in your Google account with maps.
6. In the bottom middle of the screen, tap the share button and select “Add to Home Screen.” This puts an app-like button on your phone that launches the Web page. You can now simply tap it to launch Google Maps, which includes directions for mass transit as well as walking and driving, and all the other features of Google Maps.