A redesign of Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 bring Windows Start Screen to your Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 PC, tablet or Phones. Start Screen might look bulky on its own, but simple and few customization can make Start Screen productive, ease to access and of fine look.
In this tutorial, you’ll be learning how to customize Start Screen in Windows 8.1 for ease of access and attractive looks.
Resizing Tiles on Start Screen
- On the Start screen, press and hold the tile you want to resize. (If you’re using a mouse, right-click the tile.)
- Tap or click Resize.
- Choose the size you want.
Moving a tile on Start Screen
- On the Start screen, press and hold the tile you want to move. (If you’re using a mouse, click and hold the tile).
- Drag the tile to where you want to place it.
Grouping Tiles on Start Screen
- On the Start screen, press and hold or right-click the tiles you want to group together.
- Drag them to an open space, and when a gray bar appears behind them, release the tiles. This will create a new group.
- If you want to name the group, tap or click where it says Name group above the group, and then enter a new name.
Once you’ve created a group, you can move the entire group around on your Start screen. (refer to next animated picture)
Naming Groups of tiles on Start Screen
- On the Start Screen, right click on the open screen (not on any tiles).
- Once you have right-click, header of groups will be highlighted with blank boxes to give a name for each group
- Give you name to group and click Enter.
Moving Groups of tiles on Start Screen
- On the Start screen, pinch to zoom out. (If you’re using a mouse, click the zoom icon (-) in the lower-right corner of your screen.)
- Press and drag or click and drag the group of tiles you want to move to where you want it to go.
Once you’re done moving groups, tap or click anywhere on the screen to zoom back in
Pinning apps you use often
You can pin your favorite apps to the Start screen and the desktop taskbar so you can get to them quickly and see updates on their tiles at a glance
- Slide up from the middle of screen to get to the Apps view. (If you’re using a mouse, click the down arrow near the lower-left corner of the screen.)
- Press and hold or right-click the app you want to pin. You can select more than one app and pin them all at once.
Tap or click Pin to Start or Pin to taskbar. The apps you pinned will appear at the end of your
Unpinning apps from Start
If you decide you don’t want a tile to be on your Start screen any more, you can unpin it from Start. Unpinning an app is different than uninstalling it—if you unpin an app from your Start screen, the app will still appear when you search for it, and it’ll still be in the Apps view if you need to find it again.
- On the Start screen, press and hold or right-click the tile you want to unpin.
You can select more tiles to unpin them all at once. To clear your selections, on the Start screen or in Apps view, tap or click an open space on the screen, or tap or click Customize.
- Tap or click Unpin from Start.
The apps you selected will be removed from your Start screen, but will still appear in Apps view and when you search for them.